The Class of '69 has had a web presence since 1999. Until November 2015, we used open source software and hosted it on an independent ISP. In January 2016 we moved to Dartmouth's iModules system (hosted on Dartmouth's servers) as a trial. Sadly, iModules is basically a marketing tool rather than a community building, communication or collaboration tool. In the summer of 2016, because iModules did not provide the functionality or flexibility the great Class of '69 deserves, we moved our web site back to independtent hosting, using Drupal.
Our goal is to provide a comprehensive source of accurate and current information about the Class, including officers, Class business, classmates and their activities, as well as events (past, current and planned):
- Share class information with classmates.
- Enable classmates to share information with each other
- Strengthen old relationships and make new cinnections and friendships within our class family.
- Facilitate class business, including but not limited to events like Homecomings and Reunions, Projects, and dues.
- Archive information about who we are, who we have been, what we have done, and what we plan to do.
- Remember or departed classmates.
Our site should serve as both a first stop and source of truth for information about the Class, about us, and about what we are doing. Regardless of what fancy technology we use, the site will only be as useful as the information it offers, so please let us know if there is something you would like added or updated.
The Class site consists of the following content by sections:
- Class News: updates about Class activities or classmates
- Events to learn about coming Class events.
- Connect: how to update your information, a Green Card to submit updates, information about our LIstServ, a list of classmates for whom we have no email address (help), access to old issues of The 69Times, info about our Forum for discussions, and a link to the Dartmouth Alumni Magazine online (DAM).
- Class business: information about officers, dues, our treasury, Class projects, the Alumni Council, and a link to the Dartmouth College Fund.
- Photos: photo galleries maintained in SmugMug with well over 2000 photos now, dating back to our undergraduate years.
- In Memoriam: a slideshow as well as list of departed Classmates with photos and obituaries.
- The Ds of Old: an ongoing series of posted excerpts from The Daily D during our years on campus. A new exceprt will appear once or twice a week until our 50th Reunion.
- Dartmouth. A feed containing what the College thinks is newsworthy.
Email announcement system.
We will continue to use Dartmouth's iModules email system to communicate electronically with classmates. Our ability to reach you by email depends on the College having an updated profile. PLEASE keep your profile up to date (instructions are here) so you do not lose out on important information about Reunions, mini-Reunions, Homecomings, Class projects, and departed Classmates.
We have ongoing email discussions using ListServ. There are a small number of participants but the group is very active and discusses a wide range of topics. Both reading and posting are available only to classmates (and family) who have subscribed. Feel free to join us. More information and instructions are here.
Class photo galleries.
Our photo galleries are hosted on SmugMug. The easiest way to access them is through the Photos tab on the web site, but they can also be accessed directly through SmugMug. It is set up to allow you to download digital files of Class photos free. (You can also buy prints through SmugMug.)
Class discussion forum.
We now have a Class discussion forum. This is a new tool for our Class, and the goal is to allow threaded discussions among classmates and their families, on subjects of interest, using a tool that organizes the discussions into categories and then threads within the categories. Because it also archives the discussions, it is possible to resume or join an old discussion, or revisit a conversation from the past. It is available under 'Stay connected' on this Class site. The conversations there are public, but you must register with the site and login in order to post. Test it and tell me what you think.
Our Class has a Facebook Group. This is NOT a Facebook page, but a closed Facebook Group. It is available only to members of our Class and their families. We'd love to have you join.
Our Class has a Twitter account: @dartmouth69. Feel free to follow us there, or tweet to us.